Greenwich Carbon Cutting Grant Application
Participatory Budgeting Funding Opportunity for Greenwich
Events are to be held online on Saturday 13th November 2021
The Small Projects Fund (funding applications between £500 and £2,000) is being held from 11 – 1 pm
The Large Projects Fund (funding applications between £2,000 and £20,000) is being held from 3 – 5 pm
The Royal Borough of Greenwich has made £40,000 available for a Participatory Budgeting programme to reduce carbon emissions in Greenwich. The aim is to support local communities to reduce carbon and kickstart behaviour changes in the borough in relation to climate change.
Participatory Budgeting (PB) puts community members in control of allocating funds to projects that benefit the community. PB is a democratic process where applicants that meet the criteria set out below, are asked to make a short video about their project, and Greenwich residents vote for the projects that they believe will be of most benefit to the community and reduce carbon in the borough.
If you would like more information on the PB process please Click here to go to our FAQ document.
Any community group, resident, or organisation can bid for a share of the £40,000. Your bid should address at least one of the themes below:
- Empowering Wider Change
- New Development
- Circular Economy
- Natural Environment
How Does The PB Process Work?
The local community will decide who is awarded the money based on the projects that they like the most, the process is as follows:
- The funds will be split over two events.
- £20,000 has been allocated to the first event on Saturday 13th November from 11am – 1pm, applicants can submit a bid for funding up to a maximum of £2,000 for their project in this event.
- £20,000 has been allocated to the second event on Saturday 13th November from 3pm – 5pm, applicants can submit a bid for funding up to maximum of £20,000 for their project in this event.
- This application form will be checked to ensure that it meets the full criteria (set out below).
- Applicants that meet the criteria will be invited to put together a 3-minute video about their bid. Each film will be shown in sequence at a decision day event and the community will then be allowed to vote once for each project.
- At the event, the community and other groups will be in attendance and they will vote on the projects being presented to them.
- Votes are counted on the day, and the winning projects will be informed of their success before the event closes.
Criteria – who can apply for the funding?
- We welcome bids from community groups and residents of any age.
- If you are under 18 we will require a responsible adult to complete the application on your behalf, take on any financial responsibilities, and work with you to deliver the programme.
- If you are a non-constituted group or individual, you will require a constituted group to hold the funding for you (this can be organised with the planning group at a later date)
- Applicants are welcome from outside of the Royal Borough of Greenwich, but all activities/ interventions and legacy must remain in Greenwich.
- A maximum of two bids will be accepted from any applicant, however, the total amount requested must not exceed a combined maximum of £20,000.
- All projects must reduce carbon in Greenwich.
Timeline of Events
- If you would like help with your application or would like to learn about what works in Participatory Budgeting, then we will be holding two support sessions as follows:
Monday 13th September, 6pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 950 8559 1856
Monday 20th September, 6pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 958 7234 3733
- Please let us know if you would like to attend one of these sessions by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Details will also be posted on our Facebook site.
- Please ensure the application form is submitted by 5pm on Monday 4th October. Late submissions will not be considered.
- Those who meet the criteria for the fund will be notified on Friday 8th October
- A film surgery will be held online through Zoom on Friday 15th October, the link for this will be shared closer to the time.
- The closing date for film submission is 5pm on Friday 22nd October. Late submissions will not be considered
- The Participatory Budgeting events will take place online on Saturday 13th November
- Voting will take place through Zoom, the link for this will be shared closer to the time.
- Voters will need to register via Eventbrite. This link will go live on Friday 22nd October. Details will be shared via our Facebook page.
- Those attending are required to vote on all bids at the event, failure to do so renders that voting form inadmissible.
- Anyone is welcome to come along and vote, as long as they live in the Royal Borough of Greenwich!
There are two separate applications for funding within this event.
If you would like to apply for anything between £500 – £2,000 please click here to apply for the Small Projects Fund
If you would like to apply for anywhere between £2,000 – £20,000 please click here to apply for the Large Projects Fund